A Week's Worth of Madness - Poetry Weekend

Drawing by Steve Ouditt

A Week's Worth of Madness

A week's worth of madness
That's all it took
To give thanks for
My arms
My legs
And the concentration it takes to read a whole book!

A week's worth of madness
Unfolding in my mind
So now I understand better
What it means
To have a restful sleep
To relax
Unwind.

A week's worth of madness
Excruciating pain
Was enough
To get me to say:
"Lord, rather just take me now!"
And then when He didn't
I announced my new way of looking at the world
In utter disdain.

A week's worth of madness
Forced me to treasure
Small joys
Dawn breaking
Birds singing
Sun shining
Rain falling
Life's stupid little things
That sometimes have value beyond measure.

A week's worth of madness
And I'm a better writer
Words like
Suffer
Insane
Take on new meaning.
I'd even go as far as calling anybody battling with illness
A freedom-fighter!

A week's worth of madness
And I'm sane
You see!
Just please Lord,
I've learnt my lesson
No need to hit repeat.
Please, let's not go through this again!

A week's worth of madness
Has awakened in me
A sense of sadness.
For those whose weeks of madness
Aren't weeks
But
Months
Years.

A week's worth of madness
Got me out in the sun
I left the house
Walked
Smiled
Talked to people
And it was indeed quite fun!

...
Maja Dezulovic

2 comments:

  1. Now I am curious! What happened to you? I can so relate - while and after suffering pain, our insight and vision, perceptions and perspectives, increase. We learn so much while suffering pain :) Glad it lasted only a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a short and a long answer to this. The short answer is depression.

      Delete